Sumation.. of some of the terms used in Oregon law regarding renting;
Although efforts have been made to match this wording to the official legal text, differences may remain.
90.100 Definitions. As used in Oregon Statue, unless the context otherwise requires:
(2) “Action” includes recoupment, counterclaim, setoff, suit in equity and any other proceeding in which rights are determined, including an action for possession.
(3) “Applicant screening charge” means any payment of money required by a landlord of an applicant prior to entering into a rental agreement with that applicant for a residential dwelling unit, the purpose of which is to pay the cost of processing an application for a rental agreement for a residential dwelling unit.
(10) “Essential service” means:
(A) Heat, plumbing, hot and cold running water, gas, electricity, light fixtures, locks for exterior doors, latches for windows and any cooking appliance or refrigerator supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord.
Sewage disposal, water supply, electrical supply and, if required by applicable law, any drainage system.
(13) “Fee” means a nonrefundable payment of money. ( not a deposit)
(14) “First class mail” does not include certified or registered mail, or any other form of mail that may delay or hinder actual delivery of mail to the recipient.
(20) “Landlord” means the owner. “Landlord” includes a person who is authorized by the owner, to manage the premises or to enter into a rental agreement.
(21) “Landlord’s agent” means a person who has oral or written authority, either express or implied, to act for or on behalf of a landlord.
(22) “Last month’s rent deposit” means a type of security deposit, however designated, the primary function of which is to secure the payment of rent for the last month of the tenancy.
(26) “Month-to-month tenancy” means a tenancy that automatically renews and continues for successive monthly periods on the same terms and conditions originally agreed to, or as revised by the parties, until terminated by one or both of the parties.
(33) “Rent” means any payment to be made to the landlord under the rental agreement, in exchange for the right of a tenant and any permitted pet to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others. “Rent” does not include security deposits, fees or utility or service charges as described in ORS 90.315 (4) and 90.532.
(36) “Screening or admission criteria” means a written statement of any factors a landlord considers in deciding whether to accept or reject an applicant and any qualifications required for acceptance.
“Screening or admission criteria” includes, but is not limited to, the rental history, character references, public records, criminal records, credit reports, credit references and incomes or resources of the applicant.
(37) “Security deposit” means a refundable payment or deposit of money, however designated, the primary function of which is to secure the performance of a rental agreement or any part of a rental agreement. “Security deposit” does not include a fee.